Tuesday, June 12, 2018

A Peace Summit on the 480

       I just met Lenny, an American Jewish philosophy professor, on the bus from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. We chatted the entire ride. Lenny informed me that he was here in Israel as a member of the MERETZ delegation from the States, and essentially he was here to make peace between Israel and its neighbor.

        Now, normally, I don’t engage too deeply with people on the complete opposite side of the political spectrum. And before you yell at me, hear me out. I am right- wing. Quite. Duh. I’m not really that middle- of- the- road, nor are my opinions “developing” or “fluid.” I also like people and want them to like me. And one way to ensure someone won’t like me is to have a screaming match with them about politics. And therefore, I try not to engage to the point where this might occur.

        Back to Lenny. He said he was here with Meretz. I kept my eyes from rolling straight back into my skull, because I’m an adult. Then Lenny said, “well, we’re both Zionists, so we can build on that!” I paused. I asked him, “Does Meretz really consider itself Zionist?” He responded affirmatively and I realized that, like their religious observance, generally people think that their Zionism is the correct way to do Zionism. So that was a good starting point.

         Throughout the ride we found lots to agree on- the miracle of Israel, the fact that academia has become an impossible place to be a Zionist, the incredible people who live here, the shameful lack of assistance for some olim that causes them to leave.

          We disagreed on more. The African refugee/migrant problem (semantics play an issue). Changing demographics- he believes Jews will soon lose their demographic majority, I don’t. We were on the same page about BDS until he told me he won’t buy from “the Settlements.” I told him to please change “settlements” to “Jews” and be aware that he is boycotting Jews. Boycotting Jews like the Germans did in the ‘30s. Then he said his father was a survivor and we just agreed on a lot of Holocaust stuff for a bit and got back on track.

           He tried to make me believe that the conflict was about land, while I think it’s religious. I begged him to please not equate Bibi with Abbas (Meretz despises no one on earth more than Bibi, I learned. His name came up many times, as he is apparently the root of all evil in this country. Who knew?)

          At one point I tried to turn around and get back to my 12 waiting games of Words With Friends. Lenny kept the conversation going. And I realized this. Lenny is an idealist, I am a realist (although he’d say he’s a realist and I’m a pessimist.) He genuinely wants everyone to be happy and content here and I worry mostly about the Jews in Israel and our safety and well-being. He believes we have peace partners (it’s not his fault, I’m certain Palestinian reps are telling Meretz reps whatever they want to hear) and I think that’s just a fantasy.

          So much of what divides us is our vocabulary. Lenny always called them “settlers” and I call them “citizens.” Lenny only calls Judea and Samaria “the West Bank.” Lenny talked about the “hilltop youth”- a not large group of nationalists who have become a bogeyman and a convenient parallel for Muslim terrorists. Lenny called the Africans “refugees” while they have also been referred to as “migrants.” We come from such different places- he in secular American left- wing academia, me in Modern Orthodox right- wing Israel advocacy. 

But at the end of our trip, we talked about what we agreed upon- a strong, safe, Jewish Home for us all. We shook hands, wished each other well and I can only assume he’s writing a blog post about me as we speak!

           Good luck with everything, Lenny, and keep fighting the good fight!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Jordana,

    Apologies for contacting you through this post, but I couldn't find an email address. I'm an editor for Expat Arrivals and I’m busy updating our page on Israel.

    We’re looking to add experiences from expats living in Israel. I’m impressed by your blog and feel that other expats would benefit from your insights.

    Would you be able to answer a few questions, which we would then publish on our Expats Arrivals page? We can’t offer any financial remuneration, but we can offer a link exchange and add to your blog listings.

    Best,
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! I’d love that-sorry for the late reply, I only just saw this!

      Delete

  2. Hello everyone,The blank ATM card I got from Mike Fisher's blank ATM hackers helped save my life. I was in a very terrible situation financially but then my friend told me about them. I was skeptical about it but he assured me that it worked for him so I ordered one and here I am, back on my feet. Its the best out there with multiple withdrawals up to $80000 per month, easy usage and very safe as well, it's arrival was in less than a week. If there's anyone in need of financial saving you can contact them at blankatm156@gmail.com . I cannot express how grateful i am to blankatm156@gmail.com for placing me in a better financial position. Email : blankatm156@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you interested in any kinds of hacking services?
    Feel free to contact TECHNECHHACKS.✅

    For years now we’ve helped so many organizations and companies in hacking services.
    TECHNECHHACKS is a team of certified hackers that has their own specialty and they are five star rated hackers.

    We give out jobs to hackers (gurus only) to those willing to work, with or without a degree, to speed up the availability of time given to jobs!!

    🛑Thus an online binary decoding exam will be set for those who needs employment under the teams establishment.


    we deal with the total functioning of sites like,


    ✅SOCIAL MEDIA (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, google hangout etc.)

    ✅SCHOOL GRADES

    ✅IOS/OS

    ✅CREDIT SCORES

    ✅BANK ACCOUNTS

    ✅SPOUSES PHONE

    Our special agents are five star ⭐️ rated agents that specializes in the following, and will specially be assigned to you for a special job well DONE.

    ▪️WESTERN UNION TRANSFER

    ▪️CREDIT CARDS INSTALLATION

    ▪️MONEY FLIPPING

    ▪️CRIMINAL RECORDS

    ▪️BTC RECOVERY

    ▪️BTC MINING

    ▪️BTC INVESTMENT

    ⚠️Thus bewere of scammers because most persons are been scammed and they ended up getting all solutions to their cyber bullies and attacks by US.

    I am Jason williams one of the leading hack agent✅

    PURPOSE IS TO GET YOUR JOBS DONE AT EXACTLY NEEDED TIME REQUESTED!!!✅



    And our WORK SUCCESS IS 100%!!!✅



    We’re always available for you when you need help.

    Contact or write us on:

    Technechhacks@gmail.com

    SIGNED....!

    Jason. W

    Technechhacks
    2020©️All Right Reserved

    ReplyDelete