Wednesday, June 25, 2014

It's the Final Countdown

     I have under a week before I make the biggest move of my life. After living in good ol' New York City for the last --redacted-- years of my life, I am making aliyah and moving to the Jewish homeland. Eretz Yisrael. Israel. The Middle East. However I say it, the move sounds huge. And scary. And life-changing. I am moving for a million reasons. Ideologically, I really do believe if a Jew can make aliyah, a Jew should make aliyah. This isn't to disparage the millions of diaspora Jews leaving outside of Israel, it's really just self- directed. I can live there, so I should live there! Easy peasy!
     Except it is the opposite of easy for me right now. Saying goodbye to the world that I know, the people I love most and the comforts that surround me here in the U.S. of A. is harder than I expected. I most certainly didn't expect to get nostalgic seeing the mailman- aww, I'm gonna miss the way he wears headphones and never acknowledges my existence! My days are spent saying goodbye (see you soon!) to so many people I adore and can't imagine going months (years?!) without seeing. I imagine watching life in America pass me by, a stream of Facebook and Instagram pictures of weddings I can't make, babies growing into teenagers, events I can't attend; and it makes my heart ache a little.
     Moving to Israel was an expected move by many ("Finally! It's about time! Don't you already live there?") but I know that actually living there, becoming an Israeli citizen, will be worlds different from my summer-long extended vacations. I don't see this as temporary, something that I'm "trying out." I see this as my new lifelong home, where I'm meant to be. 
      But then the stress sets in. I don't have a job or a permanent place to live. I will be living in an ulpan, trying really hard to obtain a fluency in a language that, for me, has pretty much been kacha-kacha (so-so) for 15 years. I don't plan on working in my chosen field of speech therapy, so I'm essentially starting over career-wise. I have a bunch of dispersed friends who live in Israel, but no cohesive social network. I am a New Yorker, so I'm pushy, but am I Israel pushy? This bureaucracy everyone tells me will drive me insane- will it? And honestly, how how how can I fit all my shoes and clothes into just 3 bags?! It's all really a lot to wrap my head around.
      As scary and unknown and stressful all of this is, I just think of something that a rabbi I knew once said. He said the opposite of pleasure isn't pain, it's comfort. And sometimes, in order to experience the pleasure, you gotta feel some pain. I know that the goodbyes and the packing and the red tape can be really painful. But I also truly believe that making aliyah and making a life in Israel will be the ultimate pleasure.

9 comments:

  1. Good luck Jordana! You're gonna rock it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! Enjoy. kinda jealous here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Jordana,
    You are about to embark on one of the most memorable and amazing journeys of your entire life! Enjoy every moment of living in Israel. It might get hard at times but always stay positive and you'll overcome any obstacle you face! Now you can enjoy the beautiful weather, beautiful people, fresh vegetables, juicy fruits, watermelon, Jerusalem, the Kotel and most important the feeling of being in the BEST country EVERY DAY!!! I'm so excited to follow you on your journey and god willing join you in Israel next summer! Please post every day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna try! Can't wait to be there with ya!

      Delete
  4. Great call and line about the mailman and his headphones! Hatzlacha Rabbah girl - rock it!!! - Aliza

    ReplyDelete
  5. just curious, did you go to sharfmans in 2000-2001? we've might have met, we had a mutal friend, Davina Rudner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep and yep! Davina's been my best friend since we're 4- small world! Thanks for reading!

      Delete